Since my Jun Togawa texts seem to go very well on this site, here’s another one! If you want Jun Togawa, you’ll get Jun Togawa. And since it’s also less than a month until 2022, the year Jun Togawa celebrates 40 years since her first album, I’ve compiled a list of my 40 favorite moments (and semi-moments) by Jun, presented in no specific order. Enjoy!
Here are the moments:
• When she steals a cat to help her promote her album “Suki Suki Daisuki” in 1985:
• Her dancing at the construction works in the “Men’s Junan” music video:
• When she slams the table and screams in her podcast. It’s in the immediate start and it’s also the only thing I understand from the podcast, because I am not Japan:
• When she convinced her label to let her do an album about menstruation:
“[…] Togawa recalls that the label executives proposed repositioning her as a conventional pop idol, but she was uncomfortable with the idea. “I had this concept in my head about female menstruation, so I said I wanted to do that.” […] “They told me it wouldn’t sell, so I was only given a small budget, and I had to produce it myself.”
(quote from a 2021 The Wire interview)
• Her legendary toilet commercial in the 80s:
• When she talked about her toilet commercials 25 years later on some Australian show:
• The absolute first drum on the “Suki Suki Daisuki” album (like, the first millisecond). I love that drum. Dwah!
• The second chorus of Suki Suki Daisuki in this live show (and the whole song!). The falsetto, the glasses, the whole thing!
• When she gets hit by a car in this music video/live video (not for real, it’s just a video):
• The TV interview where she shows off her insect accessories (which I’ve already mentioned before in my Jun Togawa fashion top list):
• When she was a lobster: